EyeWiki:Main Page New
Welcome to EyeWikiTM, the Eye Encyclopedia written by Eye Physicians & Surgeons.
EyeWiki is an ophthalmic wiki where ophthalmologists, other physicians, patients and the public can view an eye encyclopedia written by ophthalmologists covering the vast spectrum of eye disease, diagnosis and treatment. Any qualified ophthalmologist or ophthalmologist in training is invited to contribute content to the wiki and post it immediately. For content guidelines and more information see About EyeWiki and Getting Started. EyeWiki is a collaboration between the American Academy of Ophthalmology and these societies.
Featured Article for February 15, 2019
Cannabinoids are compounds derived from the flower of the cannabis plant that act on specialized receptors in the endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is integrated throughout the human body. Although known for its recreational use, studies have demonstrated marijuana’s ability to serve various medicinal purposes. Medical marijuana has been utilized to subdue the effects of nausea and emesis associated with chemotherapy in cancer patients. Cannabis has also shown to be efficacious in minimizing the symptoms of nausea and diminished appetite in HIV positive individuals. Moreover, marijuana has effectively alleviated both chronic and neuropathic pain, allaying the hallmark spasticity of multiple sclerosis as well as sensory neuropathy secondary to HIV infection.
- EyeWiki Editor-in-Chief, Brad Feldman, MD, discusses the thinking behind the EyeWiki initiative with the American Medical Association Journal of Ethics.
- To create an account for contributing to EyeWiki, please visit the getting started page. Unsure which articles are needed? Check the list of suggested topics.
- Note from the Editor-in-Chief and Deputy Editor-in-Chief: Don't forget to familiarize yourself with the EyeWiki copyright rules before posting new content.
Become a fan of EyeWiki on Facebook and stay informed about what's new.
Section Lead Editors
- Cataract/Anterior Segment
- Alpa S. Patel, M.D.
- Cornea/External Disease
- Vatinee Bunya, MD
- Ahmad A. Aref, MD
- Andrew Go Lee, MD
- Cat Nguyen Burkat, MD FACS
- Todd Mondzelewski, MD
- Pediatric Ophthalmology/Strabismus
- Monte A Del Monte, MD
- Refractive Management/Intervention
- Majid Moshirfar, M.D.
- Jennifer I Lim MD
- Alan Palestine, MD